Tuesday, March 18, 2014

European Adventure - Day 6 - Belfast

After yesterday's St Paddy's Day drinkathon we were a little late getting started. I had anticipated this though and didn't plan anything until lunch time. This was a great idea! I was fine with no hangover but it was lovely to have a lazy morning to do some washing and just laze about for a while. BJ was up around 9.30 so after getting everyone organised we headed off around 10.30 into Belfast, firstly to check out the Titanic Museum.

It was a lovely museum and the interactive displays were great. I was a little disappointed as I thought there might have been a replica of the staircase or something like that, but I there wasn't.



After visiting the Titanic Museum we had lunch there in the bistro, and then headed into the City. We were booked to do the Black Cab Tour at 3pm, so had an hour or so to kill. We went for a walk around the City, and nearly froze so ended up back in the car waiting for the cab to arrive with the air conditioner on. :) The tour was fantastic - very eye opening, and to be honest a bit scary! I honestly don't know how people live right in Belfast near the Peace Wall and not be worried and looking over their shoulders every second of the day!

It was interesting to hear stories about why it all occurred. I thought my knowledge of NI and the IRA was pretty thorough, but there was a lot I didn't know. I have a long list of things to google as I find it all quite fascinating (also very sad). I have photos below of all the murals, the peace wall which is amazing how high it is - to stop things being thrown over (like molotov cocktails!), and also of Crumlin Road Gaol & Courthouse - where all the prisoners from both sides (mostly Catholic) were held during the "troubles". There is a tunnel under the road between the Gaol and the Courthouse, so they housed the prisoners there as it was the best solution so they didn't have to risk getting them to the Courthouse via a prison van.



The Peace Wall



Bombay Road and Aidan holding some rubber bullets which are only mean't to stop people, but have killed a lot of people in NI while there were troubles

No comments:

Post a Comment